Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

 Raul> I just don't think that specifically enhancing the package structure
 Raul> with extra kludge to specially support non-free packages is the right
 Raul> way to go.

        Look below to see why it is not a kludge.

 Raul> I think that the right way to go is to put the references themselves
 Raul> into non-free.  The data structure itself is less complicated, the
 Raul> complexity is represented in the data.

 Raul> And, by the way, you've still not explained why you think the approach
 Raul> I'm advocating is grotesque and that the approach you're advocating
 Raul> is elegant.

        Because the suggests and dependencyis and other relationships
 are based on how the packages work: they are, in some ways, a
 natural consequence of the what the package is, and does.

        Free and non-free are a consequence of the *licence*, which
 has little to do with how the package works technically.

        Now, the relationships will be independent of the licence,
 just depending on what the packages are (elegant, in my opinion), and
 I tell my tools what packages I do not want installed (not imposing
 my vierws on other people, nor using licencing issues to distort
 relationships.

        This is configuring how my package management system behaves
 on my machine. Again, elegance. It shows me what I want to see, as it
 should.

        manoj
--
 If for every rule there is an exception, then we have established
 that there is an exception to every rule.  If we accept "For every