Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 09:22:27AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Sure it's legal, but was it a good idea?

You could ask the same question from a different perspective: was it a
good idea to change policy to use /usr/share/doc before the transition
was hashed out?  And is it a good idea to leave it that way?

Perhaps the change should be reverted until we have a solution.

> Do you want to argue that the
> current state of the distibution is a Good Thing?

Well, I don't see any grave problems in having docs in two different
places.  No essential part of the system breaks by that, it just causes
some minor inconvenience.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)