Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

> Anthony Towns writes:
> > * Create three packages:
> > 	test1 version 1.0 mimicing your average /usr/doc-using package
> > 	test1 version 2.0 mimicing your average /usr/share/doc-using package
> > 	test3 version 1.0 mimicing base-files
> >
> > test1 1.0 has a file /my_usr/doc/test1/copyright,
> >           and depends on test3
> >
> > test1 2.0 has a file /my_usr/share/doc/test1/copyright,
> >           and depends on test3
> >
> > test3 1.0 has a file /my_usr/doc/copyright/GPL,
> >           and a file /my_usr/share/doc/test3/copyright
> You are right which is why test3 would have a critical bug filed against it
> since it creates both /usr/doc/P and /usr/share/doc/P (these are the
> "critical" requrements of point 2 in the proposal).  test3 (mimicking
> te fixed base-files) should *only* have /usr/share/doc files.  (In the
> proposal it is furthermore responsible for the /usr/doc symlink even if it
> declares it as a directory, sic, thats the only slack needed.)
>
> So indeed those three packages will not be handled correctly.

Then please provide a test3 .deb that *does* work. Simply getting rid of
all the /my_usr/doc references in test3 is *not* enough.

* install test3_2.0_all.deb
* note that /my_usr contains /my_usr/share but not /my_usr/doc
* ln -s share/doc /my_usr/doc
* dpkg -i test1_1.0_all.deb
* dpkg -i test1_2.0_all.deb
* Notice dpkg complains and that /my_usr/share/doc/test1 is now empty,
  while dpkg -L test1 says it shouldn't be.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds