Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 04:06:15PM +0200, Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:
> Thanks for reopening the debate, Chris.
>
> I am (still) following it and I (still :) do not understand what is wrong
> with the following'
>
> debian-policy [PROPOSAL]: /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc should be a symlink
>
> I propose that the "transition" of /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc be done with
> the following three changes to Policy:
>
> 1. REQUIRE that /usr/doc is a symlink to the FHS directory /usr/share/doc.

Breaks dpkg.  Propose it all you want, but it's not going to happen if you
don't provide the patch for dpkg to follow symlinks.  Either that or all
packages must be upgraded and Pre-depends: base-files (>= someversion).

Your script also has a cow if /usr/doc isn't -> share/doc, which is bad
because it may be necessary to use some symlink magic at some point.  Not
that it isn't a moot point unless you fix dpkg first.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3