Re: /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc transition, debate reopened

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 12:05:39PM +0200, Kristoffer.Rose@ens-lyon.fr wrote:
> Dear Joseph Carter,
>
> I'm sorry to shout but please read what I write.
>
> > All right dammit, here we go...  built a package crap 1.0-1, here is the
> > listing:
> > /usr/lib/crap/olddir
> > Do you believe us yet?  What more proof do you possibly need?
>
> I am happy to tell you that we agree completely on the behaviour of dpkg on
> your example.  But you are ignoring a very important aspect of my proposal:
> THIS ONLY HAPPENS FOR DIRECTORIES INTERNAL TO PACKAGES.  It happens because
> olddir is actually REMOVED by the deinstallation.
>
> For directories that are not removed there is NO PROBLEM.  Fortunately
> /usr/doc is not removed unless everything is removed.  This is a crucial
> property of the proposal.  Now back to the regular (constructive)
> discussion...our goal is to find a solution, after all :)

But you see, the file was removed from NEWDIR too!  Totally gone.
Deleted.  if it were not deleted, olddir would not have been deleted
(non-empty)...  The dpkg bug STILL applies and I can demonstrate that too
if you like.

> What other problems could there be with my proposal.

Just dpkg.  If someone fixes the damned package manager we can just move
the damned /usr/doc directory and replace it with a damned symlink that
could be pointing to another damned filesystem for all anyone cares right
now because the damned package manager would check the damned real paths
before I does a damned thing..  (waits for someone to catch the blatant
reference contained in this paragraph ...)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3