Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

Hi,
>>"Chris" == Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:

 Chris> Not an option?  You're missing my point again.  I've got
 Chris> packages installed that are 2.4.0.  In many cases, these are
 Chris> the latest, up-to-date versions.  Ok, my hypothetical
 Chris> Mr. A. S. Shole (the name says it all) shouldn't have actually
 Chris> closed the bug, but there's no reason why he couldn't ignore
 Chris> it for an indefinite amount of time, possibly years.  People
 Chris> *do* ignore policy changes for years, and they could easily do
 Chris> so out of disagreement with a policy version as well as
 Chris> through simple laziness.  *That's* my point, and I apologise
 Chris> for not being more clear, and for laying the blame for
 Chris> misreading on you.

        Yes, all packages are ot updated to meet policy requirements
 in anywhere close to timely fashion. But this is a bug like any other
 bug: there are indeed buggy packages out there, and policy can't
 mandate non-bugginess (espescially if the bug is ignoring policy ;-)

        However, the now dead proposal would have allowed for
 a) potato -- partially moved to /usr/share, with symlinks in /usr/doc
 b) woody  mosatly moved to /usr/share, (important bugs mean that
    packages that have not moved get dropped from woody), with a
    symlink forest in /usr/doc.
 c) woody +1 No more symlinks in /usr/doc

 Chris> But, given that, I think my original argument stands.  It's too late
 Chris> to ensure that everyone either sticks with /usr/doc or uses symlinks.
 Chris> Which is too bad for my (pending) proposal as well as for yours.  I'm
 Chris> trying to be realistic here.

        There are still few enough packages that user /usr/doc that we
 can still file important bugs against them for potato, ensuring they
 change or be dropped out of potato. I hope that it won't come to the
 latter, since these developers are enterprising folks keepig way
 ahead of the bleeding edge ;-)

        manoj

--
 Fortune's Guide to Freshman Notetaking: WHEN THE PROFESSOR SAYS: YOU
 WRITE: Probably the greatest quality of the poetry John Milton --