Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

Hi,

 Chris> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >> Please hold off that for a week or so. There are
 >> constitutional methods for getting contentious stuff into the plicy
 >> document, and this seems like an ideal scenario for one of them.

 Chris> It may be too late.  We *NEED* consensus on this sort of thing:

        No, we do not need a consensus. The DPL can still mandate a
  solution by fiat, thank god.

 Chris>   Wonko is compliant with policy version 3.0.0.0; the
 Chris>   requirement for a symlink did not appear until 3.0.0.1.
 Chris>   This is not a bug.  The requirement for a symlink is
 Chris>   guaranteed (by policy) to be revoked in a future version of
 Chris>   policy, and Wonko will stick with 3.0.0.0 until then.

        Until the policy document come out (and it may be years before
 that happens, the package is indeed in violation of policy.

 Chris>   I see no reason to waste my time creating this symlink only
 Chris>   to remove it again later.  When policy 4.x comes out, I may
 Chris>   be able to change the standards version without changing
 Chris>   anything else.

        This would not be ruled acceptable.

 Chris> Now that the cat's out of the bag, the *only* sane approach is

        This was never meant to be a deep dartk secret.

 Chris> to find a compromise that people are *willing* to accept.

        Rubbish. Techical solutions are not a matter of voting. Two
 legislations in the US states almost decided that the value of Pi be
 3.14, exactly. Popular vote does not make for a correct solution.

        manoj
--
 Happy is the attainment of Buddhahood, happy the teaching of the true
 Teaching, happy is the concord of the Sangha, happy the training of