Re: /usr/share/doc (was Re: weekly policy summary)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > 1. mv /usr/doc/* /usr/share/doc

This isn't trivial, because you cannot be sure that /usr/doc and
/usr/share/doc are located at the same filesystem.
And don't miss the (few) packages which already moved to
/usr/share/doc (where some of them left back a .dhelp file in
/usr/doc/<package>).

> f) probably one of the most workable solutions suggested so far...  =D

I think that the proposed "mv" is quite hard to realize, so I'm not
sure whether this "solution" is really possible. Such a system should
be able to handle the case where /usr/doc is moved to /usr/share/doc
while /usr/share/doc (located on a different filesystem) runs out of
space. When this happens while you install one normal package, this
isn't a big problem, because you can simply reinstall the package, but
the above idea could nuke big parts of the documentation...

So the above noted idea works when run by hand, but I'm not sure,
whether a postinst script is able to do this job without problems on
_every_ Debian system...

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF