Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 11:48:29AM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > And yet there are two attempts out there to write a free ICQ server.  The
> > specs are published.  Nobody has released one yet but so what?
> >
> > If the protocol is published the lack of a free server AT THE MOMENT
> > should not penalize the software.
>
> Blah.  If a program, foobar, is linked against the non-free libevil,
> it goes in contrib.  The fact that someone is planning, writing or
> even thinking about writing a libgood DFSG replacement for libevil,
> does *not* mean we put foobar in the main.  In the same way the fact
> that there is _currently_ no free server is all that matters.

Server != library.  There is no linking.  There is no requirement to use
it with a non-free server.

I ask you again, is a perl script which reads freshmeat only good enough
for contrib because scoop hasn't published sources to his CGIs?

> [The kind of `oh, but it'll be free RSN' attitude is exactly why we're
> stuck with qmail on master; needless to say, I'm less than impressed
> with it.]

There is noting that isn't free about the icq clients.  OTOH tik I don't
know of a server being written to use it other than AOL's.  However just
because I don't know of one doesn't mean there isn't one.  I don't
consider myself qualified to decide whether or not the icq server
projects are far enough along to make the clients good enough for main or
not.

This isn't a cut and dry issue like a library.  With a library I can ask
myself does it work with a free replacement or not?  With an unknown
server and published specs for how the client and server interoperate,
who is to say?

* Caytln slaps Lisa
<Caytln> catfight :P
<LisaHere> Watch it girl, I like that.