Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

[ Please don't Cc replies to me on public lists ]

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> > > There are free IRC servers, e.g. the ircd package in main.
> >
> > Sorry, I meant ICQ not IRC.
>
> And yet there are two attempts out there to write a free ICQ server.  The
> specs are published.  Nobody has released one yet but so what?
>
> If the protocol is published the lack of a free server AT THE MOMENT
> should not penalize the software.

Blah.  If a program, foobar, is linked against the non-free libevil,
it goes in contrib.  The fact that someone is planning, writing or
even thinking about writing a libgood DFSG replacement for libevil,
does *not* mean we put foobar in the main.  In the same way the fact
that there is _currently_ no free server is all that matters.

[The kind of `oh, but it'll be free RSN' attitude is exactly why we're
stuck with qmail on master; needless to say, I'm less than impressed
with it.]

--
James