Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

[ Joseph, by Ccing me, you're demonstrating just how well you're
reading my mail before replying.  There was a nice `Please don't Cc
me' at the top of my previous mail.  Please, pretty please with a
cherry on top, be so kind as not to this time, if you reply. ]

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 11:48:29AM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > > And yet there are two attempts out there to write a free ICQ server.  The
> > > specs are published.  Nobody has released one yet but so what?
> > >
> > > If the protocol is published the lack of a free server AT THE MOMENT
> > > should not penalize the software.
> >
> > Blah.  If a program, foobar, is linked against the non-free libevil,
> > it goes in contrib.  The fact that someone is planning, writing or
> > even thinking about writing a libgood DFSG replacement for libevil,
> > does *not* mean we put foobar in the main.  In the same way the fact
> > that there is _currently_ no free server is all that matters.
>
> Server != library. There is no linking.  There is no requirement to use
> it with a non-free server.

Hello?  No requirement?  What, pray tell, does one do with TiK if one
doesn't connect to a server (non-free)?  I'd say the necessity to
connect to the server before one can do what the majority of users
would do with TiK is a requirement.

> I ask you again, is a perl script which reads freshmeat only good enough
> for contrib because scoop hasn't published sources to his CGIs?

Do you think it would be so much of a problem to convince him to?  But
I've said it before, and I'll say it again (just for you, because I
know you have trouble reading what you're replying to), I don't care
how much or what software this affects.

--
James