Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 02:21:40PM +0300, Brock Rozen wrote:
> > Blah.  If a program, foobar, is linked against the non-free libevil,
> > it goes in contrib.  The fact that someone is planning, writing or
> > even thinking about writing a libgood DFSG replacement for libevil,
> > does *not* mean we put foobar in the main.  In the same way the fact
> > that there is _currently_ no free server is all that matters.
>
> Agreed. If the whole deal, which should include all the packages it relies
> upon (required packages), isn't available to be put in main, then it
> should be a very obvious decision as to where the package that relies on
> them should go.
>
> Of course, when the situation changes, THEN you can move it into main --
> but why should it be there any sooner?

There is NOTHING on your system that is non-free which icq depends on to
run, is there?  Or is the fact that you're probably going to use the main
icq server with it like everyone else good enough to make it only contrib
worthy?  Does it matter that there are other projects out there (at least
one with working (if you call an alpha "working") code) which could be
used in place of the server?  Even if most people will continue to use
the non-free server anyway because the point isn't the server but the
userbase?

* Overfiend ponders doing an NMU of asclock, in which he simply changes
  the extended description to "If you bend over and put your head between
  your legs, you can read the time off your assclock."

<doogie> Overfiend: go to bed.