Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

Hi,
>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

 Wichert> I tried to find a place where that is mentioned, since this
 Wichert> I had never heard before the packaging manual is policy.

	This issue was discussed here on the mailing list, around the
 time I was trying to revitalize the policy update process. At that
 point, I thought that even the developers reference was one of the
 policy documents, but I was successfully convinced otherwise by Adam
 Di Carlo.

 Wichert> The closest thing I can find is section 1.1 which mentions
 Wichert> the package manual, but still says that the policy manual is
 Wichert> where the technical requirements for packages are specified.

	If we do decide to make the packaging manual an explicit part
 of policy, maybe we should spell this out in the policy manual.

 Wichert> I can see why the packaging manual is policy though.

	I am glad we do agree, then ;-).

 Wichert> Does anyone know why debian/rules is obliged to be a
 Wichert> makefile? I can't find any good reason, except tradition and
 Wichert> ease of maintenance.

	Consistency, maybe. It is not as if there is any loss of
 power, one can make make scripts do anything that a shell script can,
 and then some, and one may even write a shell script that is invoked
 by Make.

	There are too many places where people have made the implicit
 assumption about doing things like make -f debian/rules -n binary
 for this to be changed without good reason, don't you think?

	manoj
--
 Q: Why don't Scotsmen ever have coffee the way they like it? A: Well,
 they like it with two lumps of sugar.  If they drink it at home, they