[PROPOSED] Merging the packaging manual and policy packages

Hi,

	Iff we agree that the packaging manual has the weight of
 Policy, I propose, as a purely packaging issue, to pull the two
 packages (not the documents -- the policy and the packaging manuals
 shall remain distinct documents).  The policy manual package already
 contains the FSSTND document, so this merger is not without
 precedent.

	Rationale:
 a) There should only be one Standards-Version that Debian packages
    use, and lintian checks for. Unless the pacdkaging manual and the
    policy manual are merged into one package (note: *not* one
    document), version skew is unavoidable.
 b) Both these packages are managed by the same group, and if the
    pacaging manual is acknowledged to be policy, the contents are
    under the control of the similar processes; merging the packages
    avoids duplication.
 c) It makes it easier to say what package to install to learn about
    *all* Debian Policy documents ;-)

	If there is a near consensus, I shall go ahead and make the
 required changes in the CVS repository; since there are no content
 changes in this proposal, I shall not go thrugh with the full process
 (this is merely a packaging issue).

	manoj
--
 Love cannot be much younger than the lust for murder. Sigmund Freud
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>