Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Wichert> Packaging manual isn't policy. I don't see any reason why a
> Wichert> shell script should not be used for very simply packages..
>
>	Packaging manual is too policy. The rationale for that has
> been lost in the mists of time, but this is something that is already
> policy; please float a move to get it changed if you do not like it.

You might be right, but that would mean the Packaging Manual is wrong:

Abstract
--------

     This manual describes the technical aspects of creating Debian binary
     and source packages. It also documents the interface between `dselect'
     and its access method scripts. It does not deal with the Debian
     Project policy requirements, and it assumes familiarity with `dpkg''s
     functions from the system administrator's perspective.

[...]

     It does _not_ describe the policy requirements imposed on Debian
     packages, such as the permissions on files and directories,
     documentation requirements, upload procedure, and so on. You should
     see the Debian packaging policy manual for these details. (Many of
     them will probably turn out to be helpful even if you don't plan to
     upload your package and make it available as part of the
     distribution.)
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses" -- Richard Gabriel