Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 11:40:13AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Wichert> Does anyone know why debian/rules is obliged to be a
>  Wichert> makefile? I can't find any good reason, except tradition and
>  Wichert> ease of maintenance.
>
> 	Consistency, maybe. It is not as if there is any loss of
>  power, one can make make scripts do anything that a shell script can,
>  and then some, and one may even write a shell script that is invoked
>  by Make.

I did this very thing with the Great X Reorganization.  debian/rules at one
point calls a shell script called "setperms" which handles gobs and gobs
of chmod'ing for the four dozen or so binary packages.

Why didn't I do this in the Makefile itself?  One, it's long enough
already; and two, that thing intimidates me.

Of course, there's a heck of a lot more to the XFree86 debian/rules than
calling that piddly little script.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The errors of great men are venerable
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   because they are more fruitful than the