Re: license distribution issues (was Re: Manoj, why are you suggesting to infringe the copyright law?)

Hi,

 Raul> Now, this discussion grew out of the desire to include a
 Raul> variety of standards documents with Debian. But I feel it's
 Raul> important to note that it's possible to replace standards (for
 Raul> example, Unix98 can be thought of as a replacement for some
 Raul> POSIX standards),

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 >> That merely demonstrates that you do not know these standards. UNIX98
 >> goes way beyond POSIX. For example, POSIX does not know about select.
 >> UNIX98 does. In the threads domain, there are other considerations as
 >> well.

 Raul> So?

	So the standards are not drop in replacements for ewach other,
 which was one implication of your statement.

 Raul> UNIX98 can be replaced with a larger standard with some work by us,
 Raul> the vendors.  GPL can't.

	Because we own the distribution. We can't change licenses on
 each individual piece of software, since we do not own it.

 Raul> Apples and oranges.

	Not in the least. People owning each entity are changing the
 license or standard that applies to that entity.

	All you are doing is belabouring the obvious that a
 multi-package standard and a license are not the same thing (we all
 knew that).

	You miss the point that there is a similarity between how each
 is applied to the relevant entity (progrom, or distribution).

	As far as the free software community is concerned, I think
 there is a case for treating them similarily. Free licenses are as
 important as free standards.

 Raul> I think that this means that these are two distinct issues.

 >> In the light of the above, I think you need to rethink this.

 Raul> I don't follow your line of reasoning at all.  Perhaps you could
 Raul> spell things out a bit more clearly?

	Did that help? I can try and be more clear, if needed.

	manoj

--
 Save gas, don't eat beans.