Re: Manoj, why are you suggesting to infringe the copyright law?

On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 07:48:12PM -0500, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> Something to consider:  Unlike the GPL, most licenses do not include their
> own license.  Most packages come from upstream in a single tarball,
> including the file containing the license, which is considered to apply to
> all the files in the tarball.  Does it not, then, apply to itself?  If so,
> this would make most free licenses free.

No, I don't think this is true. Every source file should have a header where
it says "This work is copyrighted under whatever license". Just because a
license is in the same tar archive does not mean that all files are covered
under it.

Mmmh. I don't know what license applies to license which come without
license. Maybe copyright law says something about it. Oh well. At some
point, it seems that common practice is not rock-solid, and maybe never will.
As we have no way to pay a lawyer to solve all the issues involved, we
should do what Manoj said and try our best to comply to law.

Thank you,
Marcus