Re: license distribution issues (was Re: Manoj, why are you suggesting to infringe the copyright law?)

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

 Raul> Now, this discussion grew out of the desire to include a variety of
 Raul> standards documents with Debian.  But I feel it's important to note that
 Raul> it's possible to replace standards (for example, Unix98 can be thought
 Raul> of as a replacement for some POSIX standards),

	That merely demonstrates that you do not know these
 standards. UNIX98 goes way beyond POSIX. For example, POSIX does not
 know about select. UNIX98 does. In the threads domain, there are
 other considerations as well.

 Raul> but it's not legal to
 Raul> replace license documents.

	Not at all. When you say a standard maybe replaced, you mean
 the the people following a standard may choose to follow anohter, or
 that the two standards produce similar requirements. Similarily, the
 author can choose to replace a license with another.

	In both cases, the owner of the entity chooses to adopt one
 standard, or the other; or use one license, or the other. The person
 who owns the software makes the decision; the vendors (us) can't in
 either case.

	If DIGITAL UNIX follows POSIX; you can't just say, oh, well,
 they follow UNIX98, because thay would be a lie.

 Raul> I think that this means that these are two distinct issues.

	In the light of the above, I think you need to rethink this.

	manoj
--
 Death: to stop sinning suddenly.