Re: Manoj, why are you suggesting to infringe the copyright law?

Hi,

	Stop lying, Marcus. No one is infringing the copyright law. I
 am just suggesting a reorganiztion of information in debian. No one
 is going to stop shipping the GPL in debian, it just will be in a
 different place on the archive.

	You fail to mention that one way of appeasing my arguments is
 to allow stuff like the FSSTND in main, or atleast in verbatim.

	BTW, your question is akin to: When shall you stop beating
 your wife?

	I am sorry you can't conduct a technical discussion in a
 decorous and serious fashion. I do not think your tantrums and name
 calling really deserve much more of a response.

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> Hello,

 Marcus> [this mail is cross posted to debian-devel, as I think it is
 Marcus> important for other developers to know what mischief is going
 Marcus> on here on debian-policy.  Follow up please to
 Marcus> debian-policy. The whole thread can be read in debian-policy,
 Marcus> too]

	Mischief? The mischief is that you quote me out of context,
 and you present an incomplete argument. Part of my article was merely
 a refutation of what you said; I encourage people to read teh
 archives and not trust Marcus's propoganda.

 Marcus> This is breaking the copyright law and I disagree strongly.

	Rubbish. Already, most binary packages point to
 /usr/doc/copyright/GPL et al; and copyright law says nothing about
 whether you have to have things on the same CD.

 Marcus> Manojs suggestion ("on another CD") is an infringement of copyright law.

	You are wrong. If The packages merely refer to
 /usr/doc/copyright/GPL, and Debian goes beyond one CD, that does not
 make things illegal (as long as everything is still part of Debian).

 Marcus>  Most copyright licenses (all I know of) are *not* modificable. Manoj things
 Marcus> that this is not in accordance with the general freeness of
 Marcus> the Debian main distribution, and therefore wants to have the
 Marcus> licenses removed from the main distribution. This ignores the
 Marcus> core difference between copyright documents and other works,
 Marcus> as licenses *apply* to other works and are the only thing
 Marcus> that grants us redistribution. Not shipping the license means
 Marcus> not shipping at all.

	Standards apply to other works too.

	Anyway, the consensus, minus Marcus, seems to be drifting to
 having a verbatim section. Marcus has lost it; dragging people in
 debian-devel as his aguments seem to be loosing in debian-policy, and
 accusing people of "mischief".

	He seems to be the only person to object to a verbatim section
 too, as far as I can see.

	I shall leave the debian-devel list alone, and uninvolved in
 this debate after this message. Read the archives of debian-policy if
 you are interested in this issue.

	manoj
--
 You know my heart keeps tellin' me, You're not a kid at thirty-three,
 You play around you lose your wife, You play too long, you lose your