Re: changes and standards documents

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 07:34:05PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Fantastic. I agree -- as far as these reasons apply to
>  documentation of software. And no further. I have already said,
>  software docuemtnation needs be under tha same licence as the
>  software it self. Why are you belabouring what we have already agreed
>  upon?

You know that it is my opinion that the same reasoning counts for technical
documents and maybe even for other data entities. If you didn't know it,
well, then I say it here.

You asked for reasons why for example standards should comply to the same
guidelines. The reasons are the same, IMHO. I can't understand why you are
arguing here. You asked, and I gave.

> 	And I am peeved by the fact that you do not listen. I have
>  agreed to the DFSG for Software documentation too. (I should have
>  stressed that in my last message).

Fine.

> 	You have not covered anything beyonnd the software+its
>  documentation.

Come on, Manoj. I think I covered quite some things beyond software
documentation.

I provide the same reasons for standards, too. That you disagree with me is
a whole different matter, but don't say that I don't provide reasons, only
because you disagree with them. Mabye "reason" is not the right word here.
"discussion entries"? "arguments?"

> 	None of the reasons above apply to non-software-documentation
>  documents.

This is your opinion.

> Stop arguing points we have already agreed on, and lets
>  get a move on trying to decide where we stand on things like FSSTND
>  and the FHS.

Here is my opinion: Standard documents are technical documents and should
fulfill the same guidlines as software documentation. They should be dfsg
compliant to be included in the Debian main distribution.

This is all I have to say about this, really. But this is only my personal
opinion. I'll continue collecting all opinions and "reasons" or "arguments"
in this thread.

Marcus