Re: changes and standards documents

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

 Raul> It's also important to recognize that the DFSG does not even
 Raul> address the problem of preventing buggy software.  I feel that
 Raul> stupid modifications of standards documents are in some way
 Raul> analogous to this.

	Buggy software, when fixed, affects only Debian systems. But
 that's OK, we only distribute stuff for Debian systems.Even in that
 case, we are bound to feedback our changes upstream.

	Standards are meant to be a a common ground that everyone,
 (not just Debian) recognizes, and tries to follow. When we make
 changes to the standard, the others do not follow; essentially we
 have become non-conformant, and have injecxted a rogue document intot
 the universe.

	A standard that no one follws is not a standard.

	I think the best way to proceed is become non-standard, and
 give the reasons for doing so and attempt to get the standard
 modified. Of find some other standard to adopt.

	Standards don't eveolve via unofficial modifications (at
 least, I am not aware of a single instance of that happening). I have
 seen standards bodies looking at unconforming applications, and
 updating the standard.

	manoj
--
 To find out a girl's faults, praise her to her girl friends. Benjamin
 Franklin