Re: changes and standards documents

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

 Guy> To sum up a bit as I see it: RMS's arguments about technical
 Guy> documentation are sound, imo.  Do the same arguments apply to
 Guy> standards?  If not, what is the difference between technical
 Guy> documentation and a standard.

	Technical documentation describes the behaviour and
 configuration details about a specific peice of code. It generally
 has relevance only to that code. A standard ia about a common set of
 rules/api/pracices/conventions that other people can write software
 to. Generally, this has the fax-like law: one or two people adopting
 it is not of much value, a million people adopting it and it comes
 into its own.

	The bottom line wqith standards is that people have to accept
 it -- and the degree of coperation and synergy that develops when one
 can depend on third party code since everyone is playing by the same
 rules.

	You lose all that as soon as people start tweaking the rules
 around. Imagine you have the corba standard. If each client and each
 server witer tweaks and improves the standard, then none of the
 clients or servers can talk to each other.

	Imagine of evryone started tweaking the header sizes of IP
 packets. Heh.

	manoj
--
 On a clear disk you can seek forever. Denning