Re: Chosing release goals for slink

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> > * Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of
> >   packages automatically after GPG signed email with list of
> >   packages to delete)
>
> I think this idea, as presented here, is very bad.  Even with sanity
> checks and more thought, I'm not impressed by the idea and don't think
> it would be worth the effort to implement.  We now have people helping
> Guy, and the ftp site should be much less of a problem than it has
> been recently.

I think your paranoia is unjustified, James. I should elaborate to say
my suggestion would only apply to packages maintained by the person
sending and signing the email. If I can upload packages to Debian as a
maintainer, shouldn't I be able to remove them, by a similar process?

You say we now have people helping Guy, who are they? Yourself? I hope
you can get net access soon to keep helping him, but in the past you have
been reluctant to do anything to the archive for fear of hosing it.

> > * Autocompilation support
>
> Eh?  That sounds suspiciously like meaningless buzz-word talk.  What's
> ``autocompilation support'' please?

It means even more automation than your debbuild script.. such as a
server automatically getting packages from a quinn diff check, compiling
them, and sending the results, if bad, straight to the maintainer, ccing
to an arch specific person.

> > That's all that comes to mind right now, any other suggestions?
>
> That we release slink before 2038 or so?  These goals (the desirable
> ones, that is) aren't viable if we want slink to not be the disaster
> hamm is.

Actually I agree these shouldn't be slink release goals, but rather
issues we should focus on when hamm is released. And I don't think hamm
is a disaster, in terms of quality.

	Martin.