Re: Chosing release goals for slink

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 03:40:21PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
> Guy this is not a slam to you or any of the people who help you.
>
> That said, one of the biggest problems I see facing Debian today and in
> the future is that our list of packages grows daily.  A ftp maintainer
> or group of them is a needed thing, but I also feel that either the
> developers need to have a more active role or that some of the work
> needs automation.
>
> Several of us have been bitten by left over packages, packages stalled
> in Incoming, etc.  We as a group need to come up w/ a better solution.
> As it stands we are going to overrun poor Guy some day soon /9if it has
> not happened already).  A group of us are working on a Netwinder port so
> a debian-arm is going to appear in a couple of months too.  So yet
> another directory for packages to go in.
>
> I think this needs some serious discussion and some serious action.
> This probably needs to get off of -policy and into -devel (or private)
> too.

It's been in -devel actually.  That's where the signed removal of one's own
packages came from.  =>  One of the others we liked was that unstable would
be a package pool rather than a dist..  Then there would be stable and
prerelease, the latter of which would be kept as close to releaseable as
possible so there wouldn't be several months to wait killing bugs like with
hamm.