Re: Chosing release goals for slink

Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:

> > > * Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of
> > >   packages automatically after GPG signed email with list of
> > >   packages to delete)
> >
> > I think this idea, as presented here, is very bad.  Even with sanity
> > checks and more thought, I'm not impressed by the idea and don't think
> > it would be worth the effort to implement.  We now have people helping
> > Guy, and the ftp site should be much less of a problem than it has
> > been recently.
>
> I think your paranoia is unjustified, James.

I think your ad hominems are unjustified and unnecessary, Martin.

> You say we now have people helping Guy, who are they?

Richard Braakman and myself.

> I hope you can get net access soon to keep helping him,

``get net access''?  How do you think I'm sending this mail?  Magic?

> but in the past you have been reluctant to do anything to the
> archive for fear of hosing it.

No, in the past, I have been reluctant to abuse the privileges I have
on master (for orthogonal tasks) and bypass Guy to fix some short term
problem that people on IRC were getting worked up about.  There is a
sizeable difference.

> > > * Autocompilation support
> >
> > Eh?  That sounds suspiciously like meaningless buzz-word talk.  What's
> > ``autocompilation support'' please?
>
> It means even more automation than your debbuild script..

Please don't drag my tools into this, I never mentioned them.

> such as a server automatically getting packages from a quinn diff
> check, compiling them, and sending the results, if bad, straight to
> the maintainer, ccing to an arch specific person.

We already have such a system, minus the automation of building choice
(because there are multiple builders with different machines with
varying levels of connectivity), and minus the automatic mail to the
maintainer (I think that unsolicited maintainer spamming is a total
non-plan[1]).

[1] If the bug is in the package, the person who started the build can
determine that and file a bug; spamming maintainer with mail because
their package failed to build because a machine didn't have libfoo-dev
installed is silly.

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~                                  http://yawn.nocrew.org/