Re: Chosing release goals for slink

Yann Dirson <ydirson@mygale.org> writes:

> Maybe some will think it's not yet time to discuss this, but I think
> we need a central repository for ideas of what the release goals for
> slink will be.
>
> The following list is only built from what I remember to have read at
> some point, so it will need surely some additions.  I also add some
> items which have surely not been discussed in length, but will
> certainly need to before selecting them or not.  Let's hope it can
> serve as a base to select which ones we'll implement.
>
> * FHS compliance
>
> * PAM support
>
> * docbase support
>
> * No binary-section manpages (mainly 1, 6, 8) in `manpages' and
> `manpages-<LANG>' packages, but in their relevant binary packages.
>
> * DTM support (Definitive Type Manager, formerly Debian Type Manager)
> - Federico: do you think it's feasible ?

* GPG as standard signature for packages

* Bugs mentioned in changelog closed automatically upon package installation

* Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of packages
  automatically after GPG signed email with list of packages to delete)

* Lintian check by default at end of dpkg-buildpackage

* Autocompilation support

* Non-interactive package configuration available (not default)

* Better package selection for large networks of Debian (eg easier
  centralized control/maintenance/install of 20+ Debian machines)

That's all that comes to mind right now, any other suggestions?

	Martin.