Re: Chosing release goals for slink

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> Guy this is not a slam to you or any of the people who help you.

It clearly is.

> That said, one of the biggest problems I see facing Debian today and
> in the future is that our list of packages grows daily.

You exaggerate wildly.  There are for more important problems facing
Debian than the fact that new packages, until recently, may have been
stalled in Incoming for a while.  How does this possibly compare to
the problem of the *still* unreleased hamm?

> A ftp maintainer or group of them is a needed thing, but I also feel
> that either the developers need to have a more active role or that
> some of the work needs automation.

"some of the work"?  Are you trolling?  Please actually go and look at
the ftp site and see how much it *is* already automated, rather than
ranting inanely minus the facts.  The few manual things (confirms to
frozen, new package overrides) that remain are manual for a reason.

> As it stands we are going to overrun poor Guy some day soon /9if it
> has not happened already).

Rubbish; the flow of new packages (and I know how many there are,
having just processed the backlog) is not that great.

> A group of us are working on a Netwinder port so a debian-arm is
> going to appear in a couple of months too.  So yet another directory
> for packages to go in.

99% of which will be packages already in the distribution, thus will
be handled totally automatically by dinstall.  Please stop this damn
FUD.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There are people who are
helping Guy now, the only packages in Incoming for the last 3 days
have been packages waiting to be installed or rejected; there are no
stalls.  Please stop bashing the ftp site maintainer and spreading FUD
and go spend your obviously copious free-time productively
(release-critical bugs anyone?).

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~                                  http://yawn.nocrew.org/