Re: Author tests and IPC::System::Simple

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:19:48 +1100, Paul Fenwick wrote:

> > (Note for Paul: if I add libbsd-resource-perl to Build-Depends-Indep,
> > as required by t/08_core.t, I get:
> [snip]

> In particular 08_core.t assumes that zapping a process with a SIGABRT will
> cause your process to dump core.  If you're running on a system where
> SIGABRT doesn't cause a core dump, or have a system where core-dumps have
> been disabled using a mechanism other than ulimit-style resource limiting,
> then I'd expect to see the failure you've reported[1].

[..]

> [1] However having done some investigation, the test checks to see if it's
> able to enable core dumps before running.  In the case of a system running
> with 'ulimit -c 0' it should skip the core dump tests.  If you *are*
> actually getting a core dump, but the test is failing, then you have found
> an honest to goodness bug, and I'll start quizzing you for more information
> about your system. ;)

Here we go: my strange system is Debian unstable :)

A bit more verbose: I tried to run the test manually and outside of
a chroot and everything:

gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$ svn st
gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$ perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for IPC::System::Simple
gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$ make
cp lib/IPC/System/Simple.pm blib/lib/IPC/System/Simple.pm
Manifying blib/man3/IPC::System::Simple.3pm
gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$ TEST_AUTHOR=1 prove --blib --verbose t/08_core.t
t/08_core....1..3
ok 1 - use IPC::System::Simple;
ok 2
not ok 3

#   Failed test at t/08_core.t line 45.
#                   '"/usr/bin/perl" died to signal "ABRT" (6) at t/08_core.t line 41
# '
#     doesn't match '(?-xism:dumped core)'
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 3.
dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED test 3
        Failed 1/3 tests, 66.67% okay
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
t/08_core.t    1   256     3    1  3
Failed 1/1 test scripts. 1/3 subtests failed.
Files=1, Tests=3,  0 wallclock secs ( 0.30 cusr +  0.05 csys =  0.35 CPU)
Failed 1/1 test programs. 1/3 subtests failed.
gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$ svn st
?      pm_to_blib
?      blib
?      Makefile
?      t/core
gregoa@belanna:~/src/svn-pkg-perl/trunk/libipc-system-simple-perl$

Maybe someone who knows more about Perl on Debian can add some ideas?

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: The Cranberries: Everything I Said