Re: Making Perl Debian modules for lazy people?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:34:39 +1100, Paul Fenwick wrote:

> Firstly, I want to apologise for the brevity of this e-mail as well for
> generally being a lurker on the list and in subversion recently;

Nothing to worry about!

> 	dh-make-perl --build --cpan autodie
> 	dh-make-perl --build --cpan IPC::System::Simple
> These work very well, even with the old version of dh-make-perl that comes
> with Etch.  However, as far as I know, there aren't any "official" Debian
> packages for these modules.

Ack.

> I'd love to fix this situation, and that's where I'm hoping the debian-perl
> list may be able to help.  Firstly, I wanted to check that the Debian Perl
> Policy at:
> 	http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/
> is still current, and what I should be using.

Yes, it's still official and valid, but this policy only gives a
rough framework (and is only an addition to the Debian Policy at
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ ).

If you want to maintain / to have the packages maintained within the
Debian Perl Group take a look at http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/
(especially policy.html and subversion.html and maybe some of the
guides in howto/).

> Secondly, and more importantly for me, I've noticed that the debian-perl
> group seems to ask a lot of "May I maintain X?" questions.

It's not that we try to grab each and every perl package :)
In most of the cases these requests or offers are related to outdated
packages where a package that we maintain needs a newer version as a
dependency.
But yes, we are open to new packages -- and new packagers :)

> If it's a
> general goal of the group to package more modules, can I self-promote
> autodie (of which I'm the author) as a candidate?

Sure, if someone has/sees the need for a new package that's fine, and
we don't discriminate against upstream authors :)

> I can offer upstream support, public thank-yous, ohloh kudos, speedy
> resolution of bugs, and general goodwill in return. Both autodie and
> IPC::System::Simple are pure-Perl, and try to make things as easy as
> possible for dh-make-perl to figure things out, so I hope they'll be
> low-hanging fruit in terms of packaging support.

Sounds great!

I'm not sure what your preferences for going ahead are: maintaining
the packages "on your own", maintaining them in the group, or asking
the group to package them, or something else?
Everything's fine and we can try to provide the needed information
and help!

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Supertramp: Downstream