Making Perl Debian modules for lazy people?

G'day Debian Perl,

Firstly, I want to apologise for the brevity of this e-mail as well for
generally being a lurker on the list and in subversion recently; I'm in the
middle of a crunch time that has me not even returning home for another
three weeks, and as such both my free time and network access are all over
the place.

For this particular week, I'm at the Open Source Developers' Conference[1]
in Sydney, Australia.  I'm going to be giving a talk[2] on using Perl's new
autodie pragma[3], which if everything goes to plan will end up being in the
core of Perl 5.10.1.

While I've been building my own autodie package (and its supporting
IPC::System::Simple package) with:

	dh-make-perl --build --cpan autodie
	dh-make-perl --build --cpan IPC::System::Simple

These work very well, even with the old version of dh-make-perl that comes
with Etch.  However, as far as I know, there aren't any "official" Debian
packages for these modules.

I'd love to fix this situation, and that's where I'm hoping the debian-perl
list may be able to help.  Firstly, I wanted to check that the Debian Perl
Policy at:

	http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/

is still current, and what I should be using.

Secondly, and more importantly for me, I've noticed that the debian-perl
group seems to ask a lot of "May I maintain X?" questions.  If it's a
general goal of the group to package more modules, can I self-promote
autodie (of which I'm the author) as a candidate?

I can offer upstream support, public thank-yous, ohloh kudos, speedy
resolution of bugs, and general goodwill in return. Both autodie and
IPC::System::Simple are pure-Perl, and try to make things as easy as
possible for dh-make-perl to figure things out, so I hope they'll be
low-hanging fruit in terms of packaging support.

Many thanks for all advice and support given, and all the very best,

	Paul

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSDC
[2] http://wiki.osdcsydney.info/program/talk63
[3] http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?autodie