Re: Author tests and IPC::System::Simple

G'day Jonas and debian-perl,

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> I believe that instead of removing that build-dependency you should
> change it to "Build-Conflicts:".

I hope you'll excuse my newness to Debian packaging, but Build-Conflicts
sounds[1] like it means, "if you have this installed, you can't build this
package".

At least for IPC::System::Simple, the BSD::Resource module is selectively
used by the (author) testing suite to run additional tests.  Except for
running these additional tests, the module doesn't change the functionality
of the module at all.

If the test *is* causing false positives, I'd prefer to just disable the
test than put in a build-conflicts.  As an author test, it doesn't come with
any guarantees it will make work outside my development machine.

> But as I posted a little earlier I suggest instead to keep the
> build-dependency and instead add the following in debian/rules to not
> enable the problematic option on normal builds:
>
> ifneq (,$(DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE))
>    TEST_AUTHOR=1
> endif

I think this sounds like a fantastic idea.  It means the maintainers can run
the extended test suite, but a regular 'apt-get source' user (eg, me)
doesn't need to worry about exotic tests.

Cheerio,

	Paul

[1] Unfortunately I'm in an airport with Internet connectivity, and posting
when someone is kind enough to give me some sort of connectivity. This means
I don't have a good way of checking what it *really* means. Please educate
me if I'm wrong.

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf@perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/