Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 05:31:50PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I'm not sure this is a legitimate NMU target, since I'm not sure that this
> is really an RC bug.  Although it does make the shared library kind of
> useless, so maybe it is.  I guess it does violate a should in policy as
> well.  I'm going to upgrade that bug to RC and see if that gets a
> reaction, and then after ten days it's a legitimate NMU target.

Hmm, this reminds me of a short thread in debian-mentors[0] where I
uploaded an NMU even though it didn't fix an RC bug. The Developers'
Reference[1] doesn't actually state that an NMU is only permissible for
RC bugs, but more that an RC bug is a more likely candidate. If the
maintainer is unresponsive I believe this would normally be considered
acceptable too, for example.

"The main reason why NMUs are done is when a developer needs to fix
another developer's packages in order to address serious problems or
crippling bugs or when the package maintainer is unable to release a fix
in a timely fashion."

This is itself not prescriptive.

Cheers,

Dominic.