Re: perl installation seems seriously broken

Le Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 12:58:48AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman écrivait:
> Because I use dselect and it's really easy to get perl5.005 accidently
> then. I seem to remember there is already something that requests
> 5.005..

Yes, the binary perl modules that are already recompiled. That's where
apt-get upgrade is very good, upgrade will never install packages
that depend on packages that are not yet installed ...

> I'm already uploading a dpkg NMU, I had two other fixes in the queue as
> well.

Good, you can also include Joseph Carter patch for dpkg-buildpackage ...
:)

> Wouldn't it make sense to drop the perl-provide at a later stage, when
> most packages have fixed the dependency?

That's possible, but maybe not better, instead of having people
complain because of the removal of perl dependent packages we
would have people complaining because of errors like this :
$ perl -MMD5 -e 'print "hello"'
Can't locate loadable object for module MD5 in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.005 /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5 .) at -e line 0
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/