Re: perl installation seems seriously broken

Le Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 11:34:23PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman écrivait:
> I noticed that the installation of perl5.005 in the archive is causing
> some serious problems. When I try to select it I immediately have to
> remove lots of other packages (including dpkg-dev!) since the new
> packages don't provide perl anymore.

Why on earth do you want perl-5.005 right now ? Apt would not install it
automatically if you use apt-get upgrade.

You could simply install perl-5.004 and live with that until we've updated
all packages.

We know that perl-5.005 conflicts with perl and it has been done so
for a good reason. That's why all packages that depends on perl needs to
be updated. Including dpkg-dev ! BTW, should I do an NMU of dpkg for this ?
Because I think that nobody else will do it anyway despite my automated mail
asking for the update ...

> I think this is a big problem: there should be a way to depend on a
> general perl interpreter and not care if it's perl4, perl5, etc,
> and all perl packages should provide it.

Wichert, please, let us do the right thing. It's probable that a perl5
script would not work with perl4. The same problem will (may) appear
again with perl6 and perl5.

If you are not happy with this situation right now, recompile perl-5.005 for
you without the conflicts line.

Believe us, it's better to make perl-5.005 conflict with perl in order to
be sure that everything has been updated to the new policy than to make
perl-5.005 provide perl and have half of the perl scripts broken (because
some modules won't be found).

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/