perl installation seems seriously broken

I noticed that the installation of perl5.005 in the archive is causing
some serious problems. When I try to select it I immediately have to
remove lots of other packages (including dpkg-dev!) since the new
packages don't provide perl anymore.

I think this is a big problem: there should be a way to depend on a
general perl interpreter and not care if it's perl4, perl5, etc,
and all perl packages should provide it.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl