Re: perl installation seems seriously broken

Previously Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Why on earth do you want perl-5.005 right now ? Apt would not install it
> automatically if you use apt-get upgrade.

Because I use dselect and it's really easy to get perl5.005 accidently
then. I seem to remember there is already something that requests
5.005..

> for a good reason. That's why all packages that depends on perl needs to
> be updated. Including dpkg-dev !

> BTW, should I do an NMU of dpkg for this ?

I'm already uploading a dpkg NMU, I had two other fixes in the queue as
well.

> Wichert, please, let us do the right thing. It's probable that a perl5
> script would not work with perl4. The same problem will (may) appear
> again with perl6 and perl5.

Wouldn't it make sense to drop the perl-provide at a later stage, when
most packages have fixed the dependency?

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl