Re: Applications feedback

On 21/03/18 02:32, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> On 20/03/2018 19:20, Molly de Blanc wrote:
>>

>> On 03/20/2018 02:13 PM, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
>>> feedback: should mentors organize so that all
>>> applications get some feedback from mentors before the submission deadline?
>>
>> This is my first year doing this, so someone else should feel free to
>> weigh in.
>>
>> While I suspect it's probably not necessary (judge based on your own
>> time and resources), it's probably nice for everyone to get some
>> feedback. I don't know how useful it would be from someone who didn't
>> work with you through the application process.
>
> I'll rephrase it:  I see 45 applications on the GSoC portal (and I
> assume we will receive more), I have no idea about which ones are the
> results of interactions with possible mentors and which ones are
> spontaneous ones.  It would be nice to have some coordination and
> determines which applications are already followed by mentors and which
> may profit from some guidance.
>
> I can try to do some bookkeeping, but if there is not interest from
> other mentors (are other mentors on the mailing list? I don't see much
> traffic...) I will restrict it to projects that interest me personally.

I'm personally planning to graze over more than just my own applicants
if time permits but where possible feedback will be sent to the list so
everybody gets the same benefit.

At a basic level, I would encourage students to make sure you include
everything from the "tips" emails[1], don't wait for me to send personal
feedback about that.  I just added a new instalment in that series today.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-outreach/2018/03/msg00069.html