Re: Applications feedback

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:20 AM, Molly de Blanc <deblanc@riseup.net> wrote:

On 03/20/2018 02:13 PM, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> feedback: should mentors organize so that all
> applications get some feedback from mentors before the submission deadline?

This is my first year doing this, so someone else should feel free to
weigh in.

Molly, I know that you don't pay attention to my advice, but you should have
participated in the program for mentorship by a Veteran Org:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-summer-of-code-mentors-list/mwLowXZi7b8
I have noticed that you have missed a few important things along the way.
How do I know that you have missed them? Because I have read
the GSoC guides for the mentors and admins.

While I suspect it's probably not necessary (judge based on your own
time and resources), it's probably nice for everyone to get some
feedback. I don't know how useful it would be from someone who didn't
work with you through the application process.

I would not recommend helping the students improve their project proposals
at this stage, especially if there are several students applying for the same
project idea, because the project proposal shows how the student understands
the project and how he envisions the work that is to be done.
If we help all of them and they make all very good project proposals, how do we
decide which of the students is better than the others and deserves to be sponsored?
Making a good project proposal is part of the competition.

We should help students improve their proposals after the selections are made.
This is also recommended on the mentor guide.

Dashamir