Re: Transitioning to 4.04 or 4.05

On 14 July 2017 at 14:02, Ximin Luo <infinity0@debian.org> wrote:
> Stéphane Glondu:
>>>>

>>> I am transitioning to 4.04 in Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/ocaml.html
>>
>> Ximin Luo and I are considering transitioning to 4.05.0 directly.
>>

> 4.05 was just released so I've rebuilt ocaml (with your updated 0006 patch), findlib, ocamlbuild (with the additional B-D), and camlp4 here:
>
> https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/o/ocaml/
> https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/o/ocamlbuild/
> https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/f/findlib/
> https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/c/camlp4/
>
> According to @diml the ppx-deriving errors are fixed in Jane Street's development repo: https://github.com/whitequark/ppx_deriving/pull/141#issuecomment-315334631 I haven't verified this yet, but hopefully they'll cut a release soon.
>
> I'll have some more time next week to chase up these things. I was a bit hesitant about 4.05 since this ppx-deriving issue affects quite a lot of stuff that I'm personally interested in, but I guess it'll be fixed soon based on what I linked above. So if you are all happy I will push my 4.05 updates to alioth git and Debian experimental next week. (Please say so if you're not!)

So I have progress. the arm64 pic/pie issues are due to a binutils
snapshot. Filed bug upstream, and working around it by using older
binutils.
https://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=7585

For ppx-* stuff I have rebased their 4.03/4.04 branches on top of what
is in unstable and uploaded into ubuntu, things are progressing now.

For the s390x errors I had to cherrypick a fix that landed in 4.04.3
or some such, to resolve segfaults around Sets.

Things will be looking really good, really soon.
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/html/ocaml.html
still work in progress as launchpad is busy with archive rebuilds and
is very slow at the moment.

js-of-ocaml i've tried to package slightly newer version - 2.8.4,
because the most recent one needs this new build system which is not
packaged. It seems to compile with 4.04 better, but then I hit:

ocamlfind ocamlc     -w +A-4-7-9-37-38-41-44-45 -safe-string -package
lwt,tyxml.functor,reactiveData,react -I . -I tyxml
tyxml/tyxml_cast_sigs.mli -o tyxml/tyxml_cast_sigs.cmi
File "tyxml/tyxml_cast_sigs.mli", line 26, characters 48-63:
Error: Unbound module Html_types

Not sure what to do there. I guess ideally jbuilder needs to be
packaged if it is not already and move to 3.0.0 of js-of-ocaml. I
think I will end up removing it in Ubuntu for now, to get 4.04 to
migrate. Hopefully I can finish 4.04 migration this weekend / early
next week.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.