Re: Transitioning to 4.04 or 4.05

On 12 July 2017 at 21:30, Stéphane Glondu <glondu@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/07/2017 15:26, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
>> Did you try compiling other Debian packages? I mean, packages from
>> unstable that don't need changes?

I am transitioning to 4.04 in Ubuntu.

http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/ocaml.html

We have sidestepped the missing ocamlbuild dependency, thus packages
with ubuntuX suffix needed patches, either cherrypicks from upstream
or just new upstream releases. I can file bugs for all of these in BTS
if you wish.

At the moment, there is a cerious issue with ocaml on arm64, which
appears to not be compatible with a PIE by default toolchain. Which
results in unrelocatable symbols
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/326640207/buildlog_ubuntu-artful-arm64.coq_8.6-4build1_BUILDING.txt.gz

> I have just rebuilt, starting from your packages (ocaml, ocamlbuild (it
> misses a bdep to libfindlib-ocaml-dev BTW), findlib, camlp4), as many
> packages as possible up to level 5:
>
> http://ocaml.debian.net/debian/ocaml-4.05.0%2Brc1/pool/

i am interested to try 4.05 on arm64 to see if it fixes my arm64/PIE issues.
2
> Failing packages: camlidl camljava camlp5 camlpdf cmdliner cppo
> cryptokit hevea hhvm kalzium labltk menhir mlgmp mysql-ocaml ocaml-alsa
> ocaml-base64 ocaml-curses ocaml-deriving ocamlgsl ocamlify ocaml-libvirt
> ocaml-mm ocamlpam ocaml-portaudio ocaml-res ocaml-sqlite3 ocaml-ssl
> optcomp orpie ounit pagodacf parmap pcre-ocaml perl4caml pipebang
> polygen postgresql-ocaml ppx-tools tophide type-conv ulex uuidm uutf xmlm
>
> These failures should be investigated and fixed prior to the transition
> (if possible). Many of them are simply a missing ocamlbuild in bdeps.

I believe i fixed all of the above for 4.04 builds.

I failed to fix, and asked demotion for packages listed in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cappuccino/+bug/1702913

cappuccino
cmigrep
marionnet
ocaml-deriving
ocaml-reins
ocamlbricks
polygen

Mostly due to dead upstream, and me not knowing ocaml at all. I've
tried some minor fixes, but failed to fix above.

Out of major things, I have packages failing on arm64/s390x but not
other arches (coq and down)
ppx-core and down (which needs new major upstream I believe)
js-of-ocaml needs a new major release too, but that in turn requires
this new build system packaged for debian too.

Everything else seems to work fine with 4.04. And from the patches for
4.04 I saw that active upstreams have patches for 4.05 as well.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.