Re: Transitioning to 4.04 or 4.05

On 13/07/2017 01:46, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
Did you try compiling other Debian packages? I mean, packages from
unstable that don't need changes?

I am transitioning to 4.04 in Ubuntu.

http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/ocaml.html

Ximin Luo and I are considering transitioning to 4.05.0 directly.

We have sidestepped the missing ocamlbuild dependency, thus packages
with ubuntuX suffix needed patches, either cherrypicks from upstream
or just new upstream releases. I can file bugs for all of these in BTS
if you wish.

I don't think we need bugs for that; we can look at Ubuntu packages if needed. Actually, it would be helpful if you could join the team, fix packages in our git repositories and upload them.

At the moment, there is a cerious issue with ocaml on arm64, which
appears to not be compatible with a PIE by default toolchain. Which
results in unrelocatable symbols
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/326640207/buildlog_ubuntu-artful-arm64.coq_8.6-4build1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Cannot this be fixed in a fashion similar to:

https://sources.debian.net/patches/ocaml/4.04.0-2/0010-arm-default-PIC.patch/

?

Failing packages: camlidl camljava camlp5 camlpdf cmdliner cppo
cryptokit hevea hhvm kalzium labltk menhir mlgmp mysql-ocaml ocaml-alsa
ocaml-base64 ocaml-curses ocaml-deriving ocamlgsl ocamlify ocaml-libvirt
ocaml-mm ocamlpam ocaml-portaudio ocaml-res ocaml-sqlite3 ocaml-ssl
optcomp orpie ounit pagodacf parmap pcre-ocaml perl4caml pipebang
polygen postgresql-ocaml ppx-tools tophide type-conv ulex uuidm uutf xmlm

These failures should be investigated and fixed prior to the transition
(if possible). Many of them are simply a missing ocamlbuild in bdeps.

I believe i fixed all of the above for 4.04 builds.

OK, I'll have a look. BTW, I have just uploaded camlp5 7.01 to unstable. In general, I prefer to upgrade to a new upstream release instead of patching or cherry-picking. I would also like to fix as many packages as possible before starting the transition, so that as many binNMUs as possible are done during the transition (to minimize its duration).

I failed to fix, and asked demotion for packages listed in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cappuccino/+bug/1702913

cappuccino
cmigrep
marionnet
ocaml-deriving
ocaml-reins
ocamlbricks
polygen

Mostly due to dead upstream, and me not knowing ocaml at all. I've
tried some minor fixes, but failed to fix above.

Out of major things, I have packages failing on arm64/s390x but not
other arches (coq and down)
ppx-core and down (which needs new major upstream I believe)
js-of-ocaml needs a new major release too, but that in turn requires
this new build system packaged for debian too.

I don't see any serious blocker in all this. I think we can afford at this time of the release cycle (I'm speaking for Debian, here) to remove the red packages (from your transition tracker) from testing so that ocaml can transition (although I would be very sad to see coq out of testing).

Everything else seems to work fine with 4.04. And from the patches for
4.04 I saw that active upstreams have patches for 4.05 as well.

Very good.

Stéphane