Re: Transitioning to 4.04 or 4.05

On 10/07/2017 12:43, Ximin Luo wrote:
I tested out 4.05 a few days ago, with these packages:

So you want to skip 4.04 altogether?

https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/o/ocaml/ (without 0006-Embed-bytecode-in-C-object-when-using-custom.patch)
https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/o/ocamlbuild/
https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/f/findlib/
https://people.debian.org/~infinity0/apt/pool/main/c/camlp4/

Did you try compiling other Debian packages? I mean, packages from unstable that don't need changes?

Some basic things seem to work:

- opam 1.3 and 2.0, building from git after "opam install" of its own dependencies
- opam install core oasis lwt, and some other common libraries
- merlin, after relaxing the ocaml version constraint [1] then doing a opam pin+install
- ppx_deriving from git compiles, but ppx plugins break because of [2]

[1] https://github.com/ocaml/merlin/issues/673
[2] https://github.com/whitequark/ppx_deriving/issues/143

Good to know.

The repository I've built for the 4.02.2 transition, hosted on a server of mine, is still online:

  http://ocaml.debian.net/debian/ocaml-4.02.2/

It is 1.5 GB. I expect a similar repository for 4.04.2 to be bigger, as there are more packages now. I wonder if it is reasonnable to take that much disk space on Alioth...

I think a 1.5GB temporary repo is fine for alioth - we're storing several GB for the reproducible builds project - but you also could give us upload access to ocaml.debian.net if you think that would balance things out more.

I am not ready to give access to ocaml.debian.net to random people, sorry (no offence). Let's use alioth.

Stéphane