Re: Transitioning to 4.04 or 4.05

On 13 July 2017 at 09:31, Stéphane Glondu <glondu@debian.org> wrote:

>> I am transitioning to 4.04 in Ubuntu.
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/ocaml.html
>

> Ximin Luo and I are considering transitioning to 4.05.0 directly.

Cool. Do you have a timing for it? I think Artful (17.10) may end up
releasing with 4.04 stack, as feature freeze is end of august for
Ubuntu.

>> We have sidestepped the missing ocamlbuild dependency, thus packages
>> with ubuntuX suffix needed patches, either cherrypicks from upstream
>> or just new upstream releases. I can file bugs for all of these in BTS
>> if you wish.
>

> I don't think we need bugs for that; we can look at Ubuntu packages if
> needed. Actually, it would be helpful if you could join the team, fix
> packages in our git repositories and upload them.
>
>> At the moment, there is a cerious issue with ocaml on arm64, which
>> appears to not be compatible with a PIE by default toolchain. Which
>> results in unrelocatable symbols
>>
>> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/326640207/buildlog_ubuntu-artful-arm64.coq_8.6-4build1_BUILDING.txt.gz
>

> Cannot this be fixed in a fashion similar to:
>
> https://sources.debian.net/patches/ocaml/4.04.0-2/0010-arm-default-PIC.patch/
>
> ?

No, as the asmcomp / asmrun code is not sensitive to pic_code flags at
all. However, I will rebuild ocaml again, to verify everything again.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.