Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:20:55AM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> Nevermind, the bug report was aggressive be it from Ubuntu or Debian
> user.

I haven't checked the bug log, but I don't find Ralf message to be
antagonistic / adversarial at all. He was just commenting on the merits
of the bug log itself, no matter its origin.

> ><rant>Maybe some Debian developers should understand that a
> > significant part of Debian OCaml work users are on Ubuntu. Rather than
> > a competitor, Ubuntu offers a wider exposition to Debian Developers
> > work.</rant>

Rest assured that people on this list is very well aware of the greater
exposure that Debian OCaml work gets via Ubuntu. Although I'm no longer
very active on d-o-m, I have personally always been happy about that, as
it meant that my work benefited more users.

Last but not least, let's don't forget that we have completed in this
release cycle a significant improvement to our dependency system
(dh-ocaml) which, as a byproduct, will also enable all derivatives
distribution to spot *way* more easily when the snapshots they take of
OCaml packages is "good" or not.

So, I don't think we deserve the "competitor" argument here (not even as
a tagged rant :-)), we're generally happy of downstream and we've
contribute to improve their work-flows significantly, for what concerns
what we can do staying on the Debian side.

> We understand that and we (I) asked our DPL to talk about this subject
> at the Ubuntu conference. Basicaly, the idea was to coordinate release
> for sub-projects (like OCaml packaging) to know when to do a
> snapshot. I don't know if this idea has been accepted.

And I did bring the argument on the table, although no specific decision
was taken on that respect. A good venue to discuss such a topic is the
debian-derivatives@lists.d.o mailing list, where a lot of folks from
both Debian and Ubuntu, interested in improving collaboration, hang
out.

I frankly don't think that the Ubuntu community have enough interested
people in specific sub-areas of Debian such as OCaml, but I'll be
pleased to discover I'm wrong.

A related collaboration topic which is going on is an easy way on the
Ubuntu side to enable Debian people to ask for package syncs at specific
point in time. It would be better than what we have now, but it will
also require specific extra efforts/care from Debian people, and
arguably it should rather be the other way around.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams