Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

Hello,

On 24-08-2010, David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org> wrote:
> 2010/8/23 Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr>:
>> PS: I just looked up the bug report, which reveals what distro the bug
>> reporter is using.
>
> Ubuntu.

Nevermind, the bug report was aggressive be it from Ubuntu or
Debian user.

>>  He rather should complain to his distro when they
>> are just copying our stuff and then, on top of it, get it wrong (as I
>> deduce from the fact that he could not rebuild his package).
>
> There are no OCaml developers in Ubuntu. The bug report would come
> back to Debian. And Ubuntu people are hardly ever patching Debian
> OCaml packages (https://bentobako.org/ubuntu-ocaml-status/raw/ubuntu-patches.html).
>
><rant>Maybe some Debian developers should understand that a
> significant part of Debian OCaml work users are on Ubuntu. Rather than
> a competitor, Ubuntu offers a wider exposition to Debian Developers
> work.</rant>

We understand that and we (I) asked our DPL to talk about this subject
at the Ubuntu conference. Basicaly, the idea was to coordinate release
for sub-projects (like OCaml packaging) to know when to do a snapshot. I
don't know if this idea has been accepted.

But I think the problem will remain as long as their won't be an
official Ubuntu developpers attached to OCaml packages. Some people are
already doing a great share of this job though (like D. Mentre ;-)

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall