Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:41:17AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:32:04AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, my plan with control.in, will have the dependencies set to the right
> > thing when you run the debian/rules debian/control, depending on what you have
> > currently installed when you do it, and as i suppose you will have the right
> > versions of both ocaml and the library installed, everything should be fine.
>
> Ok, that's a fair assumption. I like this idea and I will convert my
> packages to debian/control.in.

:)

Ok, i think we can make this policy now then, any other comment ?

> > I mean, when there is a abi bump, there is usually not much than a "Rebuilt
> > with ocaml xxx" entry in the changelog, no ?
>
> Well, this is rarely true. Often libraries and tools do change with new

Ah, i guess i am luck to rebuild packages for which it mostly works (lablgl,
lablgtk2, camlzip, ...) :)

> release of the ocaml compilers, for example during this transition:
> - almost all libraries and tools that deal with camlp4 need to be
>   changed and will have new corresponding upstream releases
> - findlib changed making unnecessary an old patch of mine which added
>   support for directories containing findlib configuration snippets
> - cduce changed a lot to support -for-pack

Ok, but these are normal live cycle for the libraries in question, but is this
kind of change also something that would happen in point releases, i think not
(and you also not).

> You can think that this is a coincidence, but ocaml history tells us
> that for one reason or another, releases of ocaml implie releases of
> tools and libraries.
>
> In the remaining cases where those things do not happen (e.g. when we
> migrated form 3.08 -> 3.08.1 IIRC) your approach would work.

Indeed.

But even for major releases, an automated rebuild-but-not-uploaded may
pinpoint the major problems, whcih usually happen at build time.