Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:32:04AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, my plan with control.in, will have the dependencies set to the right
> thing when you run the debian/rules debian/control, depending on what you have
> currently installed when you do it, and as i suppose you will have the right
> versions of both ocaml and the library installed, everything should be fine.

Ok, that's a fair assumption. I like this idea and I will convert my
packages to debian/control.in.

> I mean, when there is a abi bump, there is usually not much than a "Rebuilt
> with ocaml xxx" entry in the changelog, no ?

Well, this is rarely true. Often libraries and tools do change with new
release of the ocaml compilers, for example during this transition:
- almost all libraries and tools that deal with camlp4 need to be
  changed and will have new corresponding upstream releases
- findlib changed making unnecessary an old patch of mine which added
  support for directories containing findlib configuration snippets
- cduce changed a lot to support -for-pack

You can think that this is a coincidence, but ocaml history tells us
that for one reason or another, releases of ocaml implie releases of
tools and libraries.

In the remaining cases where those things do not happen (e.g. when we
migrated form 3.08 -> 3.08.1 IIRC) your approach would work.