Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 07:00:50PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 01:36:21PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Ok, i modified both ledit and ocaml so they don't have hard-coded 3.09.0 all
> > over, please have a look at what i did and comment.
>
> I had a look at your work, some minor comments:
> 1) what does the "F:" prefix mean?

No idea, field i think, this is a copy from the BestProvides thingy, i guess
it was needed back then, but i also wondered.

> 2) caseness: I think "Ocaml" is quite uncommon and will lead to errors,
>    either choose the lowercase version "f:ocamlabi" or the correct cased
>    one "F:OCamlABI". Better to have it right from the beginning.

Oh well. Let's do OCamlABI then, and drop the F: if possible.

> 3) in ocaml's debian/control you have:
>
>     Provides: ocaml-nox-${F:OcamlABI} ${F:BestProvides}, libnums-ocaml-dev
>
>    there's no need to avoid the comma between the two subst var,
>    dpkg-gencontrol is able to add/remove it where needed.

This comes from way back when we did the the bestprovides thingy. Notice that
bestprovides provides the leading ',' or not, so it should be ok like this.

> If you agree and like I can fix (2) and (3) in the affected packages.

Sure. Also, if you could add a little paragraph to the policy document, this
would be neat.