Re: Building and cleaning the manual in advi

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:35:51AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:59:09PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > My grand-parents live in eastern-niedersachsen, and i was there for two days,
> > essentially so my grand-mother could meet her first great-grand-son.
>
> So I guess you were essentially 'round the corner, then (I live in
> Hannover, maybe not too eastern lower saxony, though).

Ah, yes, almost. My aunt is in hannover too, but my grand-parent live in a
smallish <50 people village between uelzen and luchow.

> > Ok, i have to say that i didn't look into detail to the licencing info of the
> > example files. I am under the impression that this should be no problem as the
> > actual examples are copyrighted by the advi authors, and the rest should be
> > part of the tex common stuff, not sure though. It would be great if using
> > hevea.sty from the debian package would do it, but we would probably need to
> > add at least a suggest or recomends.
>
> I read a recent article on DWN where a similar issue was discussed,
> and I got the impression that the licences of the software involved
> have to be carefully mentioned. And since the examples *use* other
> peoples work (e.g. prosper, hevea) the licence need to be mentioned.

Well, my impression is that licences only apply at link time, not when mere
distributing as examples. And since we don't distribute the linked version it
is ok. Other may have some problem with that claiming the intention counts, as
was the case with the emacs files. Now the example files are clearly usefull
without those files, since their primary aim is to serve as example, not to be
reused and linked by the user, so i would say there is no problem.

> In the first case, the licence is in the style file, in the second
> case not. We need a build dependency on hevea anyhow for building the
> manual, so maybe a recommends for the examples? (But I still need to
> try if it builds with the Debian version).

Yep.

> > Hehe. I used to patch the upstream build stuff.
>
> This seems to be necessary, I am afraid, because I am unable to
> rebuild the HTML documentation or the man page (where, honestly
> speaking, only one string is repleaced). But make clean happily
> deletes the pre-build ones.

Hehe. Why can't you rebuild them though ? That would be the cleanest solution.

> > > I will try to care for my other bugs next week and also do the
> > > tryouts.
> >
> > Ok thanks. Next week will also be complicated for me, as i will be in Paris,
> > but i should have more time after that.
>
> No problem with me. I simply continue to check in my patches (the man
> page update as well as the zadvi-updates are in now). It would be
> great, though, if at some time at least the unproblematic ones could
> be integrated in an upload. (I assume you are the defacto maintainer
> of advi, right?).

I will do so when i am back.